Monday, April 7, 2008

The Hauenstein's Weep

Or do they cheer?

Dan and his brother, Mikey, are both Rice alumni. I'm curious how they take this news, that recently fired Cal coach Ben Braun has been hired by Rice.

The article says that Rice currently owns a 19-game losing streak, which is worse than any season Braun had with the Bears. He was fired for being a mediocre Pac-10 coach. Every Cal fan I know (a lot) wanted him fired for the last 5 years.

I don't even know what conference Rice plays in. The only thing I know about it is that my friends both went there.

Like I said, I know a lot of Cal fans, and they're pretty stoked with the Mike Montgomery hiring. Gwen Knapp takes a break from making Pee-pee all over the Raiders to write that Monty hasn't "betrayed" Stanford, although speaking as a Cal fan, the fact that some people on the Farm are feeling betrayed is just icing on the cake.

1 comment:

Dan Hauenstein said...

Apparently Rice now plays in C-USA. I learned this during the second half of the NCAA basketball championship, prompting me to stop cheering for Kansas and start cheering for Memphis, who was then up by 6 or something.

Rice was in the 100% Texas-school Southwest Conference (SWC) when I was there, although I think I was still there when all the good schools said, "Screw this, we're going to the Big 8 and renaming it the Big 12."